Discerning a Christian view of computer science and technology leads to many questions. The Christian faith is comprehensive, and it should inform all areas of life. But exactly how does faith influence the study of computer technology? What do bytes have to do with beliefs?
The following are some resources dealing with the topic of Christianity and Computing:
- Derek C. Schuurman, Shaping a Digital World: Faith, Culture and Computer Technology, InterVarsity Press, 2013 (companion website)
- Donald Knuth, Things a Computer Scientist Rarely Talks About, Stanford, California: Center for the Study of Language and Information, 2001.
- John Dyer, From the Garden to the City, Kregel Publications, 2011.
- Shane Hipps, The Hidden Power of Electronic Culture: How Media Shapes Faith, the Gospel, and Church, Zondervan, 2006
- Egbert Schuurman, Faith and Hope in Technology, Clements, 2003.
- Quentin Schultze, Habits of the High-Tech Heart, Baker Academic, 2004.
- Derek C. Schuurman, "Technology and the Biblical Story", Pro Rege, Vol. 46, No. 1, September, 2016, pp. 4-11.
- Derek C. Schuurman, "The Social Dilemma", CSR blog, Feruary 2021.
- Derek C. Schuurman, Connecting Bytes and Christian Beliefs, CSR Blog, October 7, 2020.
- Derek C. Schuurman, "Kuyper and Technology, or How a Voice From the Past Can Speak to our Digital Age", Christian Scholar's Review, Volume XLIX, Number 2, Winter 2020, pp. 161-174.
- Derek C. Schuurman, "Modern Devices and Ancient Disciplines", Faith Today, November/December 2017, pp. 39-41.
- Derek C. Schuurman, Transhumanism and the incarnation
- Derek C. Schuurman, "Approaches to Christian Education: From Elusive Towards a Larger and Deeper Approach", Pro Rege, Vol. 44, No. 3, March, 2016, pp. 14-20.
- Derek C. Schuurman, "Artificial Intelligence: Discerning a Christian Response", Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith, Volume 71, Number 2, June 2019, pp. 75-82.
- D. Schuurman, Forming a Christian View of Computer Technology, Journal of the ACMS
- Joel Adams, Why Christians Should Study Computer Science (and other technical disciplines)
- Victor Norman, How Will You Practice Virtue Without Skill?: Preparing Students to be Virtuous Computer Programmers, ACMS Journal, 2015.
- Derek C. Schuurman, Technology Has a Message, Christian Educators Journal
- Joel Adams, Computing Technology: Created, Fallen, In Need Of Redemption?
- Derek C. Schuurman, Technology, Robot Uprisings, and the Heart
- Derek C. Schuurman, The Net and Your Brain
- Frederick Brooks, The Computer Scientist as Toolsmith II, Communications of the ACM
- Derek C. Schuurman, The Meaning of Technology, InterVarsity's Emerging Scholars Blog, July 24, 2015.
- Derek C. Schuurman, The Rapture of the Geeks, In All Things, November 5, 2015.
- Derek C. Schuurman, Technology and the Church, God and Nature Magazine, Fall 2015.
- James K.A. Smith, In the Beginning was Technology, The Banner, February 2016.
Talks and Interviews
- A conversation on computer science and faith, WeeklyTech podcast with Jason Thacker, February 8, 2021.
- Connecting Bytes and Beliefs, talk given for Passion Talks 2020, August 14, 2020.
- O humano do futuro (includes some short interview segments, part of a larger series called "Origens" that appeared on Novo Tempo, Brazil)
- Talk given for FaithTech Chicago about shaping a digital world (May 14, 2020).
- A Christian Perspective on AI, Automation and Technology, an interview with the Purpose Nation podcast, published August 2019.
- The Challenge of Transhumanism, presented at the 2019 ASA Conference, Wheaton College, July 20, 2019.
- Is distracting technology damaging our capacity for concentration and contemplation?, The Evangelical Fellowship of Canada Podcast, January 2019
- Discerning a Christian Response to AI, Christian Perspectives in Science Seminar, Calvin College, November 30, 2018.
- Connecting Bytes and Beliefs: A Personal Story, a talk given at a Dordt College Engineering Society Dinner, 2018.
- Artificial Intelligence: Discerning a Christian Response, CSCA 2018 conference talk, Trinity Western University, May 2018.
- A radio interview on "Karl and June" broadcast February 27, 2015 on Moody Radio, 90.1 FM in Chicago.
- A TV interview broadcast on 100 Huntley Street, October 29, 2014.
- An interview broadcast on January 31, 2014 on WORD FM in Pittsburgh.
- An interview (part 1 and part 2) with KSIV St. Louis, MO, "Encounter" broadcast August 21, 2013. (note: this is made available on the condition that it may not be sold in any part for profit).
- A radio interview broadcast on July 9, 2013 on WLQV Faith Talk 1500 in Detroit.
- Technology and the Biblical Story, Bethel University convocation chapel talk, February 22, 2017.
- Technology and the Biblical Story, a talk given at the 2016 Faith & Work Conference, Redeemer Presbyterian Church, New York City, November 2016.
- Responsible Automation, a talk given for the Hamilton Science and Faith Forum and the Canadian Scientific and Christian Affiliation (CSCA), McMaster Divinity College, March 3, 2017.
- Technology and Liberalism, panel talk for the Faith and Democracy in America conference, Calvin College, December 6, 2018.
- Public lecture given at Calvin College on July 16, 2014 (audio and video)
- Association of Christians in the Mathematical Sciences (ACMS)
- Christian Engineering Society (CES)
- American Scientific Affiliation
- ACMS Conference
- Christian Engineering Conference
- International Conference on Computing and Mission (ICCM)
Groups of Christians working in Computer Technology
- Faith-Tech - a group of Christians in technology gathering in Waterloo, Ontario (Canada's "Silicon Valley")
- Silicon Valley Prayer Breakfast
See also the Christianity and Computing page at Calvin College.
There is also a mailing list for people interested in Computer Science and Christianity called CS-CHRISTIANITY. The list volume has averaged about 20 per year since the list's January 2000 inception.
We hope to add other links relating to Computer Science and Chrsitianity to this page in time.