William Spoelhof teacher-scholar in residence chair
office: NH 296 phone: 616-526-8562
e-mail: dschuurman (at) calvin.edu twitter: @DerekSchuurman
Dr. Schuurman worked for several years in industry before returning to academia. His interest in computers began in his early teens with his first computer, a Timex-Sinclair ZX-81. He is also interested in the bigger picture (metaphorically, not in the number-of-pixels sense) and the various issues related to faith and technology. He has taught computer science at both Redeemer University College and Dordt University prior to teaching computer science at Calvin University. He has participated in various service projects with computing in developing countries. He is author of the book Shaping a Digital World and is available to speak to groups as time allows.
He is a Fellow of the American Scientific Affiliation, member (and past board member) of the ACMS, senior member of the IEEE, member of the ACM, member of the Christian Engineering Society, and a founding member of Faith and AI.
- B.A.Sc. (Electrical Engineering), University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario
- M.A.Sc. (Electrical Engineering), University of Waterloo, Waterloo,
Thesis topic: Dynamic modelling of an EV traction application using different DC motors
- Ph.D., McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
Thesis topic: Direct visual servoing using network-synchronized cameras
I am currently serving as a book review editor for Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith covering topics on computers, engineering, and technology. I am also a regular contributor to Christian Courier and the Christian Scholars Review Blog.
Some recent publications are listed below, but a more extensive list of publications and presentations are also available.
- Derek C. Schuurman, Shaping a Digital World: Faith, Culture and Computer Technology, InterVarsity Press, June 2013. (companion website).
- Derek C. Schuurman, "Seeking Wisdom in Engineering and Computer Science" in Where Wisdom May be Found: The Eternal Purpose of Christian Higher Education, edited by Edward P. Meadors, Pickwick Publications, 2019, pp. 214-226.
- Derek C. Schuurman, "Responsible Automation: Faith and Work in an Age of Intelligent Machines" in The Wonder and Fear of Technology: Commissioned Essays on Faith and Technology, edited by David H. Kim, Center for Faith & Work, 2016, pp. 42-56.
- Derek C. Schuurman, "Technology and the Biblical Story", Pro Rege, Vol. 46, No. 1, September, 2017, pp. 4-11.
- Derek C. Schuurman, "Approaches to Christian Education: From Elusive Towards a Larger and Deeper Approach", Pro Rege, Vol. 44, No. 3, March, 2016, pp. 14-20.
- Steven H. VanderLeest and Derek C. Schuurman,
"A Christian Perspective on
Artificial Intelligence: How Should Christians Think about Thinking Machines?",
Proceedings of the 2015 Christian Engineering Conference (CEC), Seattle Pacific University,
Seattle, WA, June 2015, pp. 91-107.
This article has since been translated into Portuguese: (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4)
- Derek C. Schuurman, "Introducing Open Source and the Raspberry Pi to Schools in Developing Nations", Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith, Volume 67, Number 1, March 2015, pp. 50-53.
- Derek C. Schuurman, "Step-by-step design and simulation of a simple CPU architecture", SIGCSE '13 Proceeding of the 44th ACM technical symposium on Computer science education, 2013.
- Derek C. Schuurman,
"Technology Has a
Message", Christian Educators Journal,
Volume 51, Number 3, February 2012, pp. 4-7.
(this article has since been translated into Portuguese under the title "Tecnologia tem uma Mensagem")
- Derek C. Schuurman and Arnold E. Sikkema, "Christian Engineering Education in Canada", 2011 Proceedings of the Christian Engineering Education Conference (CEEC), June 2011, pp. 167-175.
- Bryan W. House, David W. Capson, Derek C. Schuurman, "Towards Real-Time Sorting of Recyclable Goods Using Support Vector Machines", Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Sustainable Systems and Technology (ISSST), May 2011.
- US 5874818: Method and Apparatus For Sensing Load Current in a Motor Controller
- US 6215681: Bus Bar Heat Sink. See also: CA 2325148 (Canada), EP 1100294 (Europe), JP 2001267479 (Japan)
- Derek C. Schuurman, "Kuyper and Technology, or How a Voice From the Past Can Speak to our Digital Age", Christian Scholar's Review, Volume XLIX, Number 2, Winter 2020, pp. 161-174.
- Derek C. Schuurman, "The Challenge of Transhumanism", Proceedings of the 2019 Christian Engineering Conference (CEC), Dordt University, July 2019, pp. 112-118.
- Derek C. Schuurman, "Artificial Intelligence: Discerning a Christian Response", Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith, Volume 71, Number 2, June 2019, pp. 75-82.
- Derek C. Schuurman, "Modern Devices and Ancient Disciplines", Faith Today, November/December 2017, pp. 39-41.
- Interview on the Relationship Between the Christian Faith and Technology (translated into Portuguese), June 22, 2016.
- Technology and the Church, God and Nature Magazine, Fall 2015.
- The Meaning of Technology, InterVarsity's Emerging Scholars Blog, July 24, 2015.
- Psalm 8 includes computers, Christian Courier, May 2019.
- Some tutorials and manuals related to teaching computer science.
- Some articles published in "In All Things".
- Some monthly columns published in Christian Courier.
- Connecting Bytes and Beliefs, talk given for Passion Talks 2020, August 14, 2020.
- O humano do futuro (includes some short interview segments, part of a larger series called "Origens" that appeared on Novo Tempo, Brazil)
- Talk given for FaithTech Chicago about shaping a digital world (May 14, 2020).
- A Christian Perspective on AI, Automation and Technology, an interview with the Purpose Nation podcast, published August 2019.
- The Challenge of Transhumanism, presented at the 2019 ASA Conference, Wheaton College, July 20, 2019.
- Is distracting technology damaging our capacity for concentration and contemplation?, The Evangelical Fellowship of Canada Podcast, January 2019
- Discerning a Christian Response to AI, Christian Perspectives in Science Seminar, Calvin College, November 30, 2018.
- Connecting Bytes and Beliefs: A Personal Story, a talk given at a Dordt College Engineering Society Dinner, 2018.
- Artificial Intelligence: Discerning a Christian Response, CSCA 2018 conference talk, Trinity Western University, May 2018.
- A radio interview on "Karl and June" broadcast February 27, 2015 on Moody Radio, 90.1 FM in Chicago.
- A TV interview broadcast on 100 Huntley Street, October 29, 2014.
- An interview broadcast on January 31, 2014 on WORD FM in Pittsburgh.
- An interview (part 1 and part 2) with KSIV St. Louis, MO, "Encounter" broadcast August 21, 2013. (note: this is made available on the condition that it may not be sold in any part for profit).
- A radio interview broadcast on July 9, 2013 on WLQV Faith Talk 1500 in Detroit.
- Technology and the Biblical Story, Bethel University convocation chapel talk, February 22, 2017.
- Technology and the Biblical Story, a talk given at the 2016 Faith & Work Conference, Redeemer Presbyterian Church, New York City, November 2016.
- Responsible Automation, a talk given for the Hamilton Science and Faith Forum and the Canadian Scientific and Christian Affiliation (CSCA), McMaster Divinity College, March 3, 2017.
- Technology and Liberalism, panel talk for the Faith and Democracy in America conference, Calvin College, December 6, 2018.
- Public lecture given at Calvin College on July 16, 2014 (audio and video)